This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Are you a carer?

christmas carers

Are You a Carer?


Are you caring at home for a dependant relative, partner, child or friend who needs your support due to illness or disability?  If so, you are a carer.  It is important that your doctor knows you are a carer.  Please fill in a 'Carers Identification Form' available from the surgery and hand it in at the reception desk or click here for an on-line version and for further information.  Carers can also find out about sources of help and support by contacting the Carers Association Southern Staffordshire (CASS) on 01785 606675. 

CASS also administer the Carers Break Fund on behalf of the County Council which is available to Carers living in Staffordshire.  Grants up to £200 can be given to Carers who fulfil the criteria.  Carers and the cared for have to be 18 or over to be eligible to claim the fund. If you think you might qualify contact CASS for an application form.

There is a wealth of information on NHS Choices about carers and caring. Below are some links into the site that we hope you will find useful.

  • Caring for a parent

    Watch this video on: caring for a parent at home

  • Telling people

    Caring responsibilities can make it difficult to maintain friendships or develop new ones. Telling your friends you're a carer is important so they understand and can support you.

  • Taking a break

    Caring for someone can be a full-time job, but it's essential that you take time out for yourself too. Read our guide to accessing breaks and respite.

  • Housing and carers

    Do you know your tenancy rights as a carer? Are you aware of all your care at home options? Do you need tips on moving someone around the home?

Contact Carers Direct

0808 802 0202
Helpline Information
Office Hours
Lines are open 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday, 11am to 4pm at weekends. Calls are free from UK landlines.
Online Enquiry Form

Finance and Law

Help claiming benefits, looking after your bank balance and understanding the legal issues of caring.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website